Saturday, June 25, 2011

John Rowe, Thoughts on Leadership

In this weekend's Corner Office interview in the New York Times, Adam Bryant speaks to John Rowe, CEO of Exelon.  Here is a fascinating excerpt:

There are probably only four or five real decisions I make in a year. There are an awful lot of things I just quietly ratify. I find it very hard to get officers to let you in before the food is cooked. Their natural tendency is to want to bring it to you all packaged. By then all you can do is say yes or no. And you usually say yes. I like to get in while I can still shape the menu a bit. And I try to get them to bring up problems at our executive committee before they’ve got the solution. And I try to be the one who suggests that a problem is coming before they’ve thought about it.

No comments: